This article has links to products and services we love, which we may make commission from.
Cobbled streets, early 19th-century architecture with crawling plants and a well-loved high street, Stockbridge is a lesser-known small neighbourhood of Edinburgh with a lot packed in. This guide focuses on the best things to do in Stockbridge and neighbouring Dean Village which is a mere 15-minute walk away.
You could easily spend a Saturday here shopping, eating and walking it off with your camera in hand.
Are you a tourist visiting Edinburgh for the second time or Scot looking for something more than the Grassmarket or George Street? Stockbridge might just be the answer.
I personally find Stockbridge the city’s most romantic area.
It still retains the city’s New Town historic charm with a hint of hip in its coffee culture and a touch of nature with the Water of Leith running through it.
Here’s what to do in Stockbridge and a map to help you get your bearings.
Don’t miss our guide to Stockbridge and Dean Village
Fun Things to Do in Stockbridge
- Snap Edinburgh’s most famous Instagram spot Circus Lane (mews)
- See St Stephens Church designed by William Playfair in 1828
- Grab a drink at the dog-friendly St. Vincent Bar
- Enjoy cake at Lovecrumbs or brunch at The Pantry (cafes guide)
- Fill your hole at Bross Bagels
- Get a shot of the historic Stockbridge Market arch
- Buy hip glasses at IOLLA, take along your prescription
- Gorge on expensive cheese at IJ Mellis Cheesemongers
- Join in the weekly pub quiz at The Antiquary
- Second-hand shop ‘til you drop at charity shops
- Take out an ice-cream, coffee or Swedish cake at Söderberg
- Pick up some fresh fruit and veg at Tariq’s shop
- Enjoy a drink in the sun at The Raeburn beer garden (pub guide)
- Buy groceries at the Stockbridge Market on Sundays
- Dine al fresco during summer at the Neighbourgood Market
You may also like | Where to stay in Stockbridge
- Admire the private home known as the Potted Garden (Circus Place)
- Find your future lottery win house at Dean Park Mews
- Watch out for the cherry blossom trees if visiting in spring
- Check the time at the historic clock at 1 Deanhaugh Street
- Poop yer pants at the Antony Gormley statue in the Water of Leith
- Climb The Dene which oozes Hogwarts (Potter fans, read this!)
- Listen to the free Water of Leith audio trail
- Visit St Bernard’s Well, say hello to Hygeia, strain to see the ceiling
- Walk along the Water of Leith to Dean Village
→ Read next | What to do at Dean Village.
You won’t believe this place exists!
Learn more about Stockbridge in this short video about the area.
Any questions or comments?
Let us know below